It appears to have been the inclusion of FC_INFINITY /
pf_fuel_map_adjust_cost() changes, which I'll split into a separate ticket
later once it no longer potentially causes the game to hang.  The remainder of
the changes (patch attached) are no longer able to replicate the hung games.

I did find some differences in further testing with the alien ruleset, which I
attribute to different move costs for moves to non-native terrain in
pathfinding, rather than discovery during the execution of the move step (the
prior code assumed all tiles were native (bool native = TRUE) for calls from
pathfinding (punit == NULL)).

(file #17890)

File name: refactor-tile_move_cost_ptrs+no-infinity.patch Size:4 KB