> I built the release tarball of 2.4.0-beta2 on Ubuntu 12.04,
> which is 2.68

Could original submitter comment if (s)he just did ./configure && make, or if
local autoconf was somehow involved (such as running ./autogen.sh), and if
latter, which version of autoconf that is?

> #ifdef HAVE_STDINT_H
> #include <stdint.h>
> #endif

We have no (explicit) configure check for setting HAVE_STDINT_H, so that too
would be needed. Neither have we explicit check for HAVE_INTTYPES_H, but that
one seems to be set in my fc_config.h - maybe AC_TYPE_INTPTR_T sets macro
related to correct header as side-effect, or maybe the macro is set by some
completely unrelated configure test.

Maybe support.h should have something like the following to always get the
more correct header:

#ifdef HAVE_INTTYPES_H
#include <inttypes.h>
#else