                 Release: 2.4.0-RC1
         Discussion Lock: Any
        Operating System: Microsoft Windows
         Planned Release:

In the Windows 2.4.0-RC1 build, if you select "Game > Save Map Image", by
default it will save a PPM file such as
"freeciv-T0036-Y-2200-M-bcfktuZ2P000plrid.map.ppm" (in addition to saving it
in an obscure location, bug #20356).

PPM files are not terribly useful on Windows, since generally Windows users
won't have tools to view PPM files lying around. PNG would be more friendly as
current versions of Windows support it natively. This seems like a shame,
especially since Christian went to the trouble of including MagickWand support
in the Windows builds.

Of course the user can fix this in their preferences by going to "Options" >
"Local Client" > "Map Image" and setting "Image format" to "magick|png" from
the dropdown, but it's a bit obscure.

We could make the default mapimg format depend on how Freeciv was compiled (so
'magick|png' is the default if available). I'm a little wary of that, because
in principle it makes the behaviour of server scripts invoking '/mapimg'
non-portable -- the behaviour depends on how your Freeciv happened to be
built. We could make the default client-specific and assume server users know
what they're doing. Or we could accept this level of variability in the server
too ('compresstype' is morally similar and we live with that).