The two call traces in comment #4 are the same as each other (although
registers are different):

0041120D  _fill_grid_sprite_array.clone.13
0041C9D4  _fill_sprite_array
004335F0  _put_one_element
00436CA5  _update_map_canvas
00437896  _unqueue_mapview_updates
0042219F  _blink_active_unit
00407D2C  _real_timer_callback
0040270B  _timer_callback
685EE4FE  C:\MyGames\Freeciv\libglib-2.0-0.dll:685EE4FE
g_source_get_current_time

...which is similar to the first one from comment #3, albeit in a slightly
different place.

> I didn't post them earlier because I didn't want to spam
> the bug system with faults. These two are from a different
> bug - but I can't remember the circumstances of this crash
> now.
I think this ticket's going to have to become a metaticket for "Access
Violations encountered by one unfortunate Windows user". I realise it is hard
for you to know when to raise separate tickets if you can't figure out what's
different between causes.