It occurs to me that there's a simple change that would help for single-player
users, which is for the client to volunteer its attribute block when the user
selects "save game" from the client menu, as it does (I believe) when it
leaves a running game.

This is a bit of a bodge -- it won't help with server-initiated save, or even
with '/save' from chatline -- and the inconsistency is bound to confuse and
infuriate someone, but on the other hand it's a simple change that can be made
to stable branches (I suggest under a new ticket, keeping this one for the
hard problem).