Update of bug #20940 (project freeciv):

             Assigned to:                    None => jtn

Follow-up Comment #4:

> The obvious quick fix would be to malloc in genlist_sort()
Done this in patch #4326, on general principles.

> Doing a full list sort every time we look for the highest
> priority thing to dequeue is pretty gross, when we could just
> keep the list sorted by inserting the call at the right place
> in enqueue_call(), especially as that already does a linear
> search over the list to look for duplicates.
Done in patch #4327. I hope that that change will make this stack overflow
symptom go away (and also improve client performance a bit).

However, I was unable to reproduce huge call queue sizes in my limited
testing. I only ever got a queue size of the order of the number of my cities
with governors, even with 100-unit stacks of my own and my enemies' wandering
the landscape in the vicinity of said cities.
I doubt that even the biggest games could have enough cities for cities*(void
*) to blow the stack. I haven't looked at how the CMA works in detail to see
what other worse cases there may be.