> (There's also a rivers_overlay wart in saving, but since it

 I don't think server ever *saves* as rivers_overlay, it just loads (old)
scenarios where it's set.
 What is missing here, is having savegame format support for such scenarios
with rivers as gen-roads.

> saves S_OLD_RIVER from run-state I think it will never be
> activated in practice? I'm a bit surprised by the presence of
> compatibility code for absence of ruleset ROCO_RIVER, given
> that S_OLD_RIVER seems illegal while running now -- maybe this
> is work in progress?)

 All this seems to be related to loading (where rivers_overlay code is) being
different from saving (where you thought it to be)