Update of patch #3448 (project freeciv):

appear in-game to be chosen => [metaticket] "Nation sets": allow set of
nations that will ever appear in-game to be chosen

Follow-up Comment #9:

Changing this to a metaticket,

Patches now ready for review (in related tickets) and if no comments will be
committed soon. Patch series:
* patch #4304 (refactoring groundwork)
* patch #4347 (Gtk refactoring)
* patch #4348 (nationsets core change)
* patch #4349 (Gtk support for nationsets)

Other clients' support (notably Qt and SDL) not yet done -- if anyone else
wants to take them on I'd be happy for them to.

Mostly conforms to the original design given here. Exceptions:
> default_groups = "Extended"
This syntax became 'default_nationset = "all"' (and only allows one argument,
because what would be the point of more?)

> If loading a savegame with a declared subset and nations
> inconsistent with it that we know about, we should probably
> just locally add them to the subset for the duration of that
> game.
In this situation we change nationset to one that includes all nations in the
savegame, if available. (This also handles pre-nationset savegames.)

One loose end not yet dealt with (but not enough to block submitting the bulk
of this, I think):