> (I'm also still working out what patch #3448 will do if it
> encounters a start position unusable in the current nationset --
> probably it will disable it and reduce the max players
> accordingly.)
As submitted, it doesn't try to reduce the number of players (similar to if
the scenario defines startpos_nations).

It's possible to end up with no pickable nations, if start positions and
naionset don't overlap -- but because the server will fall back to other
nations in this case on game start, this is not actually treated as an error.