> dpkg -s libcairo2 -> Version: 1.12.16-2
1.10.2-6.1ubuntu3 for me.

I think the format assumption documented by that assertion in
sprite_get_bounding_box() is at the mercy of the behaviour of
cairo_image_surface_create_from_png() called from our load_gfxfile().

Looking at the [http://cgit.freedesktop.org/cairo/tree/src/cairo-png.c#n639
current Cairo git code), it can create a surface with format
CAIRO_FORMAT_ARGB32 or CAIRO_FORMAT_RGB24, depending on the PNG format it
finds.

However, I think my packaged libcairo2 looks similar to the top of tree in
this regard, so I'm not sure why I'm not seeing it.

(Also, the comment
<http://cairographics.org/manual/cairo-PNG-Support.html#cairo-PNG-Support.description>
about cairo-png "It is a toy API" is a bit worrying.)