I see gmae balance reasons for this, but it still seem blatantly wrong
(realism is not very high priority, but mainly we're allowed to simplify
reality, not to add weird kludge rules). Why would my capitol's University
library lose the information they have simply because explorer happens to
discover primitive tribe on a remote island? Unlike concrete buildings, you
don't need *more* information when your nation grows (unless you have a policy
that there is just one copy of every document, and those documents are evenly
distributed to your nation so that if the remote tribe loses their records,
library of congress cannot help)