...and indeed the code is different on S2_3. Looks like the attempt to let
global observers see combat was added in patch #2742 as part of the unit
orientation patches, but didn't include a check for global-observer-ness.

The server-side fix should be simple.
How do we make the client robust about this? It would be nice if it complained
about seeing things like unit updates while lacking the rest of the game state
-- we might have spotted the cause sooner if so. Do we have a strong enough
notion of what packets clients "should" receive while detached to implement
this reliably?