> Then we need always to assign color to each player as soon as
> (s)he is created, one by one? In that case it might be better
> to just allow colorless players in pregame savegames.
I think the latter. I added colourless players to allow the PLR_SET mode to
behave sanely.
I guess I didn't think of (or test) pregame savegames containing players when
I was working in this area.

Another place where we might need to expose the notion of colourless players
is in the network protocol, for patch #4447.