Was this option meant to be conditionalised on use of the clang compiler
somehow?

I've noticed that whenever I get a -Werror build failure from my (GCC 4.6.3)
toolchain, I get an additional complaint about this warning option:

helpdata.c: In function 'free_help_texts':
helpdata.c:120:7: error: unused variable 'x' [-Werror=unused-variable]
helpdata.c: At top level:
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-tautological-compare"
[-Werror]
cc1: all warnings being treated as errors
make[3]: *** [helpdata.lo] Error 1

It seems fairly harmless -- it only happens if the build was going to fail
anyway -- but slightly confusing.