Update of patch #4461 (project freeciv):

             Assigned to:                    None => cazfi

Follow-up Comment #1:

> Would it be just as easy to let the tileset author specify
> between which two layers darkness is drawn, of which the status
> quo and above-everything are special cases?

It should easy to do almost that. One would define which layer darkness is
drawn with (on top of the regular parts of the layer). The difference is
mostly in semantics describing the code - I see no sensible use-case affected
(the lack of possibility to draw before the first layer doesn't seem like
something that would bite anybody)