Well showing resource to everyone just after first player discovers needed
tech seems a bit unfair to discovering player, I'd give some grace period.

As for Civ 3, well I played bots only and I managed to get most stuff I
needed. Also if you have enough territory you'r boudnd to get everything :).
Civ 3 also had mentioned "depleation" and "spontaious discovery" features,
what it seemed to be - game simply moved/deleted/created resources sometimes.
So if you had iron you might lose it or if you didin't have you might gain it.
I do not think I liked that feature.