So:
* the standard 2.3.5 Windows package
<http://download.gna.org/freeciv/packages/windows/Freeciv-2.3.5-win32-gtk2-setup.exe>
has been built with Gtk 2.24.10, so we expect input method trouble for our
original reporter
* there is a test 2.3.5 build with Gtk 2.16.6
<http://download.gna.org/freeciv/packages/windows/testing/Freeciv-2.3.5-win32-gtk2(2.16.6)-setup.exe>
which should be OK wrt this symptom (as 2.3.4 was)
* (2.4.2 is only available with Gtk 2.24.10, so there's no reason to hope for
a fix there.)

It seems pretty likely that it is the Gtk version that's significant (since
the original reporter identified a specific Gtk bug), but anyone who's having
this trouble could try the two 2.3.5 builds and confirm that it occurs with
one but not the other, just to rule out some difference in Freeciv between
2.3.x and 2.4.x.