OP:
> I've attached a saved file. Playing Saxionians. In 4 Cities I
> currently building a Library. If I change production in anyone
> of those cities into Temple, I am losing stones.
I still can't reproduce from this savegame with 2.4.2 (server running on
x86_64 Ubuntu 12.04). All four cities (Johanngeorgenstadt, Zittau, Chemnitz,
Wittenberg) are well behaved if I change production from Library to Temple and
back, either from the city dialog or from the cities report (F4).

Christian:
> In the last weeks I have played all branches, and have noticed
> some kind of penalty when changing between city improvements
> (not wonders or untis) - but rare, not in all cases,
> irregurarly it seemed. But I wasn't focused on that. Before
> pondering further I'd like to ask, whether such penalty is
> implemented in any branch or ruleset of today. (I'm not
> the OP)
I don't recall any deliberate behaviour change in this area for a long time.
The relevant function, city_change_production_penalty(), hasn't changed at all
for ages (back to at least 2.3.4).

> Can reproduce in Freeciv Version 2.4.2+ (r24482) on ARM.
> (Server)
Hm. So both you and the OP are on ARM, right? Interesting.

> Even if I change it back to Library, I won't get 22 stones
> back.
I'm wondering if loading the "changed_from" target from a savefile (or maybe
sending it over the network?) is going wrong, possibly in a platform-dependent
way.
I think this would explain all symptoms: if it thinks the production at the
start of the turn was something other than a building, changing from Library
to Temple will make it notice, and changing back to Library will not help.