On Fri, 7 Mar 2014, Marko Lindqvist wrote:
I'm trying to add patch BoolCanAttack patch from bug #21767 to
freeciv-web, but any attempt to run it causes this in the server side:

1: ERROR: Unable to parse packet:
{"type":4,"usern:"cazfi","capability":"+Freeciv.Web.Devel-2.l-2.6-2014.Mar.05b","version_label":"-dev"jor_version"minominor_versio,"pa,"patch_veh_vers:99,:99,"port":5556}

It seems like the packet PACKET_SERVER_JOIN_REQ is sent incorrectly. This is the first network packet sent from Freeciv-web from Javascript in the browser as a WebSocket message to nginx. Nginx will then proxy this packet to freeciv-proxy, which will then send it to the Freeciv C server, which is reporting that it isn't able to parse the packet. So somewhere on this path the packet becomes broken, as you see that several characters are missing in the packet.

I haven't seen this problem before. It doesn't seem to be related to the BoolCanAttack patch. As there are missing characters from the packet, I think that it is network related.

Has Freeciv-web worked correctly at some point previously, then suddenly you got this packet problem?

I would think that the easiest way to setup a clean Freeciv-web environment is to setup a virtual image using Vagrant. It should be quite fast and work in a consistent way every time. I would be happy to help you set up Freeciv-web with Vagrant, as I don't think you will have this problem there.

The Vagrant setup is described here: https://github.com/freeciv/freeciv-web

Regards,
Andreas