> freeciv-gtk3 in 2.4.2 still has (what appears to be) the same
> problem
Mm. I encountered a similar symptom with the Gtk2 client (see my forum post
<http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=255&p=1543&hilit=buffer+overflow#p1543>]
where the server disconnected the client with "buffer overflow" (which means
too much data had backed up in the server's network socket because the client
was slow to handle it). Perhaps you're seeing the same? (Running a separate
server would show this.)

Maybe the general extra sluggishness of the Gtk3 client is tipping it over the
edge for you. (Perhaps we can hope for patch #4590 to have improved that?)