I think in your patch, testing checking "pos.total_MC != PF_IMPOSSIBLE_MOVE"
is redundant. Checking the returned value of pf_map_position() already does
that.

In other place in the code (mainly in AI code), I tried to use the best
function. So pf_map_position() is preferred to pf_map_move_cost() when we need
other information (often "turn").

I dunno why do you use pft_fill_unit_attack_param(). I see that some callers
of goto_is_sane() use another parameter in argument. Shouldn't you use this
one?

I remember having thinking about goto_is_sane() in the past. I cannot remember
why did I not modified this function to use pf interface...