Update of bug #21896 (project freeciv):

         Planned Release:                   2.6.0 => 2.5.0, 2.6.0

Follow-up Comment #1:

> I wonder if it's insufficient thread safety around the message
> window writing?

Almost certainly. Metaserver thread was created with the idea that it would
not do anything else than build the server lists (which is the only
mutex-protected thing in client/ code). It certainly was not meant to do any
direct output except maybe logging (protected in utility/ code). My bad that I
didn't realize that the check of newer versions went to the metaserver thread
when I added it (it was tested mainly in S2_4 where there is no separate
metaserver thread)