Update of bug #21972 (project freeciv):

         Planned Release:                         => 2.4.3, 2.5.0, 2.6.0

Follow-up Comment #2:

I still plan to do the more fundamental changes to the genhash code in TRUNK,
but attached patch already makes significant improvement only by replacing the
switch-case construct with carefully crafted if -constructs (or "carefully
crafted spaghetti", but given the benefits it's probably worth it). Minimize
the need to branch (check condition + jump instructions) code execution.

With this genhash_bucket_lookup() takes only 9% of the time (with the same
autogame) and the 3% saving goes almost directly to overall execution time of
the autogame.

As for profiling results in general, I'll post them to freeciv-dev later.

(file #20582)

File name: BucketIf.patch                 Size:2 KB