This is something that I worried about already when we switched to effects
system in 2.0. Freeciv-1.14 and earlier had separate "replaced_by" -field for
buildings.

I don't think keeping nreqs for such an use that would be very hard to explain
to non-coder modpack authors is the correct thing to do.
What about making "present" tri-state value, with one value being equivalent
to current TRUE, and the other two being like current FALSE but one indicating
"replacement" and the other "prevention"?