I concur that this isn't used, and that the example fix would be correct.
Given the oddities I encountered trying not to pass move type, I'm unsure if
the AI behaviour wouldn't change in unanticipated ways if this bug was fixed,
and agree that it's not appropriate for 2.4 or earlier (and patch #4797 or
similar is better for 2.6+).  My feeling is not to apply it for 2_5, just for
continuity of AI behaviour, but if others' experience indicates it safe, I'm
not utterly opposed.