I haven't tested that, but loading should convert, and I removed the save
function for nreqs, so it should always save to reqs.  At the current state of
development, my interaction with freeciv-ruledit is mostly limited to making
sure it compiles, and changing things that show up in there when I grep the
code.  Having just tried to launch it now, the interface is sufficiently
limited that I'm not sure what it has done (I don't mean to criticise the work
under development, I just don't feel comfortable testing it yet).