I'm liking your alternative solution. Something similar was suggested in the
greaturn forums.

I made this patch with increased fuel because it is the way I played in my
latest game, and it is the only way I found to recreate air to air battles.
But I agree this patch does not help fighers to defend againts bombers, it
just help a bit to try to kill them after the attack.

I will be unable to play freeciv for some time, but I see ok if you prefer to
postpone this patch until we can test both alternatives.