                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: persia
         Planned Release: 2.6.0

The improvements feature cache hasn't kept up with wider implementation of
requirements vectors, so the only feature considered was whether the
improvement provided buildable units.  The attached patch extends that to also
check for buildable extras, prevented disasters, and protection against
diplomatic actions, in a somewhat generalised way such that other requirement
vectors may be added easily.

As part of this, universal_fulfills_requirement has been extended to allow the
caller
to specify whether the universal in question must be necessary to fulfill the
requirements, or if the requirements must simply be allowed to be met in the
presence of the universal, to enable asking both "Is this improvement
necessary in order to build this extra?", and "Is this disaster impossible in
the presence of this improvement?".  This facility can also be used to ask
"Can this unit perform this action?" (we don't care if the unit is required,
as long as the requirements can be met with the unit), and "Does this
technology obsolete this improvement?".

Note that there are currently no callers outside improvement.c, so the
function could be made static, but I anticipate using this in the AI code, so
would prefer to leave it exposed for now.

For my development convenience, there is a textual dependency on having
applied patch #4989, but no functional dependency (although if this is
adjusted to not have such a dependency, patch #4989 will need adjustment to
use the altered call semantics of universal_fulfills_requirement() introduced
here).

File Attachments:

Date: Sat 26 Jul 2014 10:24:21 AM JST  Name:
consider-improvement-side-effects-other-than-buildable-units.patch  Size: 13kB
  By: persia