You are right.

Talking about Hoover Dam, this is a wonder that I'm not sure if it is worth
the cost in civ2civ3. I balanced the rules as if it was important for the
player to prevent the pollution and the global warning: solar plants, recycle
center, mass transit, etc.
But I'm starting to think that it is better to save your money, and to use
engineers to clean the pollution and terraform the terrain instead, because
those "eco" buildings do not defend from the global warming caused by enemy
pollution.