I am the original poster for both of the two original bug reports.
I am fairly certain I was not looking at the science report at the time of
changing tilesets.

Have just recreated this exact same bug on windows freeciv beta1 by changing
the tileset while looking at the map with the science report tabbed. (no other
tabs seems to cause the error, and no crash before the science tab was
opened).

But if I look at the science report and change tilesets the crash does not
occur. (What you actually see when changing between trident and amplio2 is the
size of the boxes within the science report change.)
I then went to the map and saw that the tileset had correctly changed. I then
changed tilesets a few times with the science report still tabbed and no crash
occurred. I checked this non-crash scenario a couple of times from the start
to check it was persistent.