>> there's no such file on trunk
> Should we have some kind of template there anyway?
Mm. For some reason I don't like having a filename on trunk that'll never be
released and never have any real content.

Would it be possible for the build system to look for a NEWS-x.y file where x
and y are dynamically determined from fc_version? Then we'd have a placeholder
NEWS-2.6 on trunk now, and 'svn mv' NEWS-2.6 to NEWS-3.0 on S2_6 branching,
for instance, and the build system would tell us if we forgot.

(I plan to commit the current comment-y patch for now, anyway.)