                 Release:
         Discussion Lock: Any
        Operating System: None
         Planned Release:

Bug #21519:

"In the civ2 ruleset, Settlers' food upkeep for various governments is ...
Fundamentalism, Communism: 3 ...
upkeep=3 govs might have been accidental (in earlier Freeciv they were 2) ...
(The only other ruleset we ship having 3 upkeep anywhere is "multiplayer",
where Fundamentalism has 3 upkeep. This one may have been deliberate.)"

The ticket then fixed the civ2 ruleset.

While I have no evidence either way, and cannot be sure about this, I'm quite
sure that multiplayer rule is not deliberate but is simply a result of copying
Fundamentalism effects from civ2 ruleset (the only ruleset where it existed),
so that also the "bug" got copied.
It's possible that one who copied the effects noticed this, and deliberately
left it in to multiplayer ruleset, but in that case (s)he should have fixed
the civ2 ruleset -> lack of that hints that the thing went unnoticed.

So, I would make the food upkeep 2x under Fundamentalism in multiplayer
ruleset too.