Knowing a bit more about the background I now found that >help>about the
ruleset refers to the mentioned ruleset's documentation. I hadn't known about
this when writing the original post. But this reference to me seems somewhat
hidden in the help and at least on Linux systems the README.ruleset_*-files
themselves are in a part of the folder structure where a lot of people never
look.
Not being a programmer I don't know about the implications but I think it
would be useful if the game's help offered direct access to the
README.ruleset_*-files. It wouldn't necessarily have to be displayed within
the game itself, I wouldn't mind freeciv to trigger the corresponding
texteditor.