I confirm you are right. Sorry me, I wasn't testing it properly.

>Since it is not possible to have a road and river on the same tile until
Bridge Building is discovered, this effectively means that merchants are
divided into two classes until then, depending on their home city: river
merchants and road merchants.
This part is not problematic to me. It even makes sense that river merchants
can not move to roads unless river and road are connected in the same tile.

>(There may be some fiddly ways to transfer given by the exception of #22319:
via a Trireme, or by being adjacent to a city, etc. Such special cases are
contrary to the spirit of civ2civ3.)
If the only exception is a city, I see it ok. But I don't like the exception
of the trireme either.

Anyway, as I said in other ticket, if the movement limitations of merchants
cause trouble, I think they can be reverted to move normally, and this will
not affect that much the gameplay.