> I wonder if there's scope for some kind of load-on-demand for selected
sprites

It shouldn't be that hard to do. We already load only those sprites that are
use in current ruleset even if the tileset in question would provide more
units/terrains/whatever. I think all the flags are currently loaded, as they
are needed in pre-game when player selects nation (and then there's no need to
load more flags -> not possible to fail at that point - if a new player gets
added mid-game (civil war, barbarians, explicit player creation))