I'm seeing this more often now with the 2.5.3 version.  Also different, there
are many line numbers being reported instead of just the one:

(freeciv-gtk2:2630): Gdk-WARNING **: XID collision, trouble ahead
(freeciv-gtk2:25160): Gdk-WARNING **: XID collision, trouble ahead
(freeciv-gtk2:58644): Gdk-WARNING **: XID collision, trouble ahead
(freeciv-gtk2:61228): Gdk-WARNING **: XID collision, trouble ahead

FWIW, this is using glib 2.22.4; we have not successfully been able to compile
newer versions within the 'fink' packaging system.  As such, i'm currently
unable to try the gtk3 client.

A web search for the text of the warning shows that many open source packages
have ran into this at various times.  The fixes vary, but seem to boil down to
increasing the size of the pool of XIDs or more aggressively pruning unused
XIDs.