Adding support for escaped strings in the server console would require big
rewrite in that code. As 1) This is a minor issue 2) The code in question is
rather fundamental part of freeciv 3) It has served us well, almost unchanged,
twenty years -> I wouldn't start making that change whimsically. Let's say
that I see that rewrite to be unlikely even in 3.1 cycle (there are other
minor issues in the code, so I think it will be rewritten at some point, just
not yet)

For this ticket I would instead make the client side to check legality of the
strings user enters, so it won't send garbled commands to the server. There's
no security issue there (at least specific to these gui values) as server
already needs to be prepared to any kind of command input from client
chatline.