Here is some text (markdown) for the website wranglers to consider adding
as a news item.  I made a lame effort to build a proof-of-concept exploit,
but lost interest fairly quickly.  I remain unconvinced we need to backport
to 0.11.6 and release 0.11.7 given the low level of threat posed, but am
interested in other opinions (and/or volunteers).

Cheers,
Mike Pope

-----------------
FreeCol 0.11.6 and subsequent development versions up to 20191227 are
subject to an XML External Entity parsing bug, due to use of a
vulnerable Java library, as detailed in
[CVE-2018-1000825](https://www.cvedetails.com/cve/CVE-2018-1000825/).

According to the CVE the bug can lead to disclosure of confidential
data, denial of service, SSRF, or port scanning, albeit with limited
attacker control.

Exploiting the bug requires convincing a player to load a specially
crafted FreeCol save game, either directly or by joining a hostile
FreeCol server.

The FreeCol team are unaware of any actual cases of this bug being
exploited.  It is fixed in the [nightly
releases](https://github.com/FreeCol/freecol/releases)
from 20191229 onward.