On Sun, 25 Sep 2022 17:46:42 +0000
Stian Grenborgen <stian...@student.matnat.uio.no> wrote:
> I have noticed that some of the game/client options could have been
> implemented using a mod ... and some of the mods (like convertUpgrade) seem
> more suitable for an option.
>
> Perhaps we should make a SpecificationChangeOption with a specification as a
> child element? The option could be displayed as a checkbox for enabling the
> change.
>
> Another possible solution would be having an option called
> AlternativeModOption where the player could choose from a dropdown list of
> mods. Mods like this would be hidden from the normal mod list. This could be
> used for functionality like choosing between "Default map controls", "Small
> Map Controls" and "Compact Map Controls".
>
> Would a change like this make stuff easier to find/understand ... or do you
> think it might make it unnecessarily complex?

I am not seeing a big win here, other than (apparently) we have useful
mods[1] that could have better visibility.  There have been a few whinges
that we have too many options so I am hesitant to endorse opening up
a whole new category:-).

Cheers,
Mike Pope

[1] IIRC the Casas mod was a mod because:
- someone wanted to play a "classic Col1 but with obvious bugs like Casas
  fixed" game, but did not want all the extras in the freecol-ruleset
- the unit type change code was pretty new/volatile at the time so it was
  less likely to cause general bugs if it started as a mod
...so notwithstanding my above reservations, by now it is probably a good
candidate to graduate to an option.