From: ch...@thinkpenguin.com
Sent: Tue, May 29, 2012 03:59 AM
To: trisquel-us...@listas.trisquel.info
CC:
Subject: [Trisquel-users] Alternative freedom friendly solution to Raspberry
Pi

The one thing I don't like about the Raspberry Pi project is the use of a
graphics chip dependent on non-free software.

I think there may be a new better alternative from VIA though. I sent an
email to graphics chipset vendor in use in the device and got word back from
an engineer (David Berol from wolfsonmicro) that the WM8750 chipset is not
dependent on proprietary drivers or firmware. I did have to clarify this
though as he thought I was talking about the price :).

I've also gotten word through an intermediary who investigated the BIOS
situation on the VIA board. This motherboard will be released unlocked. Right
now VIA is releasing it with Android although there is nothing preventing
this community (free software users) from porting a GNU/Linux distribution to
it.

It is based on ARM and I think it's primary usefulness would be streaming HD
content as the cost is low ($50 USD) and has built-in hardware HD decoding.
It has severely limited built-in ram  (512MB) although more than sufficient
for a purpose built device (HTPC). It also has 2GB internal storage and
microsd expansion slot. It also has limited CPU (just 800Mhz).