>> Neither are most compilers in use for FreeDOS (with the exception of
>> watcom).

LG> ...and the Borland Museum compilers.

AFAIR, the Borland museum compilers have a license similar to
  'free for personal use. if you want to distribute compiled programs,
   you have to buy a license'

Unfortunately, I didn't buy a license - so mkeyb.exe is still illegal.
same for emm386, himem, more, .... if they were compiled by me.

AFAIK, Eric doesn't have a license either; so this applies to his
MODE, also.

Don't know if Bart has a TC/BC license; else all old kernels (compiled
with TC), are illegal, too.

tom