Hi, I think an hardware database is not needed.

Network cards: FreeDOS does not come with drivers. So if your
network card comes with DOS drivers, fine. Else: Not fine. There
are generic drivers for NE2000 compatible cards, though.

Video cards: All BIOS supported cards are okay, including all
VGA compatibles. I hear that i810 onboard graphics can have
a bug which causes graphics display to be messed up. It is also
possible that the 8x14 font is not available on some newer cards.
Then you need a TSR like FreeDOS DISPLAY to provide it, if you
have software which wants to use this font.

Sound cards: All cards which can be accessed in SoundBlaster
compatibility mode can be used without drivers. Just have the
right SET BLASTER=... in your autoexec.
All other cards are generally NOT supported because in DOS it is not
the task of the operating system to provide sound drivers, so
programs which play sound have builtin drivers instead. VERY
few new programs support AC97 compatible soundcards as well.

We know that ATAPICDD is slow even on fast computers. It is
an experimental version. Try caching with CDRcache, and try
using a generic closed source driver like VIDE-CDD or "the
driver which shipped with your drive" instead of ATAPICDD.

Eric

PS: Please, could somebody - after adding his own comments
- upload this hardware information to the FAQ system which
is linked from FreeDOS.org? But be careful with email addresses
(spam protect them).