Hi, I wrote 2 tools which might be useful for the installer:

http://www.coli.uni-sb.de/~eric/stuff/soft/specials/ tiny-file-append-concat.zip
Usage: "concat somefile.xyz" will append the contents of somefile.xyz to
the end of target.bin (name "target.bin" is hardcoded). Sometimes better
than copy /b, because you can avoid temp files sometimes, and sometimes
worse, because the target name is hardcoded and no wildcards are allowed.
Based on a problem of Tyler, who wanted to add raw audio snippets to an
existing raw audio file, without having to copy /b the whole file every time.
We found that TYPE is not suitable for binary data, so...

http://www.coli.uni-sb.de/~eric/stuff/soft/specials/
boot-sector-save-n-analyze-oscheck.zip
Usage: "oscheck x:" writes the boot sector of drive x: to a file bootsect.bin
in the current directory. This is an improved version of SAVEBS, because you
can specify the drive letter on the command line and it does drive locking
like SYS does.
In addition, OSCHECK searches the boot sector for typical kernel file names.
When such a string is found, OSCHECK looks for the corresponding file on disk.
Both on-screen messages and returned errorlevels give you detailled information
about which FORMAT/SYS tool was probably used and whether the disk seems to
be bootable and for which OS.
Example: "IBMDOS  COM string found" but "ibmdos.com file not found" means
that the disk was probably formatted with PC DOS or DR DOS but not SYSed.
Please read the help message and the source code for more details.

Both tools are quite SMALL: concat is 0.5k and OSCHECK is 1.5k :-)).

Enjoy!

Eric.

PS: I think using OSCHECK in a batch script might be more useful than
adding the functionality of OSCHECK to SYS - the command line syntax of
SYS is already complex enough (because it contains SYS, with some possible
parameter overrides and boot sector file writing etc., as well as SYS CONFIG
which is a tool to set config variables in a kernel binary).