Steve Nickolas wrote:

At Fri, 30 Jul 2004 8:55am +0200, Roberto Mariottini wrote:

As for FreeCOM, the bug showed up on the PC (P3 650 MHz) trying to use filename completion. The beep started, then the computer freezed, while continuing to beep. I had to press Ctrl-Alt-Del to shut it up.

Ciao

It's odd that my Celeron/700 doesn't have that problem, so I don't think it's CPU speed...

I'd consider CPU speed anyway.
The delay loop calibration techniques used in the days are prone to overflow problems. At some stage an overflow may lead to random values. So the delay() call is multiplied by a random value, giving too short, good or too long delays. The fact you have a good delay duration, I have it too long and someone else has it too short can be the consequence of random calibration of delay loop.

Back in time, when I was working with DOS everyday, I used the system clock tick for delays. This gives a 55 ms granularity, but it works on ALL computers, and is sufficient for most purposes.

Ciao