Hi Steffen,

> But back to the question: "HOW DOES FREECOM KNOW THAT THE CURRENT STANDARD
> OUTPUT IS THE DEVICE DRIVEN BY THE BIOS?" Is it save / useful to use BIOS
> functions. Or how can FreeCOM ensure the human sitting on the other side
> of the line is seeing the results.

The only reliable way is to trap int10, write a character using int21 and
see if it gets trapped. Very dirty as you'll have to send a backspace in
case there really is a terminal on the other side (otherwise you'd get the
character displayed).

That said. In practice a console driver will have the "FAST int29" bit
set, and a COM driver won't. As int29 will surely write a character to the
console. This isn't waterproof in theory but ... I simply don't know of
any who don't (and in the rare theoretical case where a CON driver doesn't
use int29 one could just as well treat it as a dumb terminal anyway).

When I saw your mail I had this "deja vu" feeling we get here on this
list much more often ;)

Matthias once wrote a long mail saying how other DOSes deal with this.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=freedos-dev&m=101742333130155&w=2

just follow the whole thread (prev and next), there's nothing I can add
here, but I assumed you had already looked this up?

Bart