On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, tom ehlert wrote:

> pretty straight forward.
>
> * Port DosEmu from Linux to SUN SOLARIS

this is (unfortunately) not so easy. For one thing DOSEMU relies on a vm86
system call, that is most likely not present on SPARC CPUs.

Having the thing available as a network drive to the rest of the system
is another trick. But I'm not sure if you wanted that, or if the FAT
filesystem is only for your program's internal use.

> you don't need blockio.
> you should replace the read/writeblock() in blockio.c;
> blockio.c is mostly about caching, and there's little
> sense in caching a ramdisk.

true.

The filesystem consists of fatdir.c, fatfs.c and fattab.c. The purpose of
my post was just to explain how this fits in the FreeDOS scheme so you can
write replacement functions for anything above (dosfns) and below
(blockio) it. A ramdisk is just a chunk of memory, so the dskxfer becomes
a memcpy to or from it. Exactly how you want to do that well you're on
your own there.

There's no shortage of FAT filesystem implementations in this world; you
could also look at the Linux FAT code (which most definitely works on
SPARC), the Free/Open/Net BSD FAT code, or mtools.

A few years ago I remember a post from somebody who used the FreeDOS fatfs
for a (non-x86) embedded platform, so it's been done before, but in your
case after re-reading the initial post you are probably better off with
another FAT implementation (that is 64bit clean, uses a flat memory
model, deals with endian issues, etc).

Bart