Thanks Aitor,
I think this should be a TechNote, or it should go in the FAQ, because it is really a Frequently Asked Question.

Ciao

Aitor Santamaría Merino ha scritto:
Dear Karsten,

There are such tools.
You write a keyboard layout in the form of an ASCII text file (in the KEY language). Then you "compile" this file with the latest KC (KEY compiler), to obtain a binary KL file that you can use with the latest KEYB.
Links:
Latest KEYB: http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/keyb/kb2pre2x.zip

Latest KC: http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/keyb/kc110x.zip

About the documentation on the KEY language to write the layouts, the package that includes KC has some documentation, although it is not very good, and I'd need to rewrite it. Please ask me (in private if you wish) for whatever isn't clear.
If you want to use commands specific for FD-KEYB, then you can obtain a commandlist of FD-KEYB in the same package of KEYB.

Finally, you could obtain the sources for the standard keyboard layouts shipped with FreeDOS and customise them for you. They are distributed in the KEY language under the GNU GPL license. Latest sources are:

Layouts based on DOS codepages:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/keyb/kblayout/KPDOS11S.zip

Layouts based on Windows codepages:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/keyb/kblayout/KPWIN10S.zip