Hi Tony, Flox,

indeed I do not understand what the problem should be here...
if you have "sound drivers", then they will work with any DOS,
including FreeDOS. However, C-Media chips work really bad in
DOS in general. Old ForteMedia chips usually work better, but
even those still do not work in DOS on all mainboards. The SB
Live and SB PCI chipsets are not DOS compatible at all, but
they come with drivers which "tap" into the sound which DOS
believes to send to a SoundBlaster16 and forward it to the
real, AC97 style, hardware of the SBLive/SBPCI. Last but not
least, real ISA SoundBlaster compatibles work best in DOS,
but of course that only works if your mainboard has ISA slots.

With most other "DOS compatible" soundcards for modern PCI
based computers, things are more or less a question of luck.
Problem with the SBLive/SBPCI drivers is that they only work
for software which can "share" protected mode with drivers:
Old games which tell you that you cannot play them while you
have emm386 loaded, for example, will not accept the SBLive
drivers to be active either.

Talking about Adlib, you get sound out of that in a very
standard way - ALL Adlib compatible cards, even C-Media,
use the same I/O ports. So you need no configuration, and
as Adlib music often works without DMA or soundcard IRQ,
its very easy to use and to detect for DOS games :-). Not
sure why NX DOS also has detection - normally only the
games and not DOS itself are interested in your soundcard.

I hope everybody had a nice easter weekend :-)

Eric