On 10/29/07, Johnson Lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 04:53:26 +0000, you wrote:
>
> Hi BAHCL,
>
> >Recently, I compiled the 2036 kernel and copied to a hard disk but found it
> >was
> >a FAT16 kernel in a FAT32 partition, I ought to be more careful, but it is a
> >pitfall.
> >Can DOS in the future boots into the linux ext3?
>
> I think it's a TRAP :-)
> That's why I say the code need clean up.
>
> The LTOOLS can access EXT2, don't know about EXT3 ...

You need to see things in perspective:
the reason for having FAT32 optional is so that older machines that do
not need FAT32 can use a smaller kernel to save a few K. Those few K
really matter especially if the old machine only has 640k of memory.

And adding complex filesystems such as ext2, ext3, or ntfs to the
FreeDOS kernel will certainly not make it smaller, probably more like
100% bigger. So you need a driver indeed, and some exist, but that
won't enable booting.

DOS is pretty much married to FAT. That's just the way it is, or it
wouldn't be DOS ;)

Bart