Op 7-7-2011 14:08, Michael B. Brutman schreef:
> I have resisted getting too detailed with the errorlevels because I
> would need to make them consistent across all of the applications. At
> some point I'm not going to control all of the applications, so I won't
> be able to enforce it. The user readable error messages are usually
> descriptive enough.  (I might address this by reserving a block of error
> codes for the library, most of which would be used during startup.)

Ah my interest was purely to DHCP.exe here, once that works all
applications are fine with their semi-static file (except for a "lease
expired, can't run, run DHCP.exe first again or stick to static IP)

> with that fiction.  Therefore, DHCP will usually find a static config in
> the file because it wrote the static config there the last time it was
> run.  (If you are generating the config file each time before calling
> DHCP then finding a static config would seem like a reason to stop, but
> normally it is not.)

Yeah I don't know DHCP.exe's behaviour, was just afraid it would be
spamming the DHCP server everytime I run it, instead of analysing the
configuration file's timestamp + lease.

VMware's DHCP gives 1800 seconds lease (NAT-mode), while my router's
DHCP gives 1 day leases indeed (as does yours).

The tricky situation is a "hey lease is still valid, let's not query".
with meanwhile lease only still being valid like 5 seconds or so.
Trouble ahead :)